ExpertFlyer Hot Topics — Where the Rubber Meets the Runway
ExpertFlyer interviewed Marilyn Waite, founder of SustainableVisit.com, a resource for the growing number of sustainable travel enthusiasts who want to support environmentally and socially responsible businesses in the places they visit.
“There’s been a lack of consolidated, practical and worldwide information on sustainable travel,” says Waite. “Travelers with the best intentions do not know where to eat, where to stay, how to commute and what activities to take part in that contribute to sustainable development. Responsible tourists, eco-tourists and tourists who simply do not want to do harm to the local population do not have useful information when they need it, where they need it.”
Watch our interview with Marilyn and read her checklist for getting started as a gentle traveler:
Before you travel you should…
- Do your Research
- Learn about the destinations unique cultural aspects (history, language, government, arts)
- Get smart about the practical things, like currency, infrastructure, emergency safety
- Learn (some of) the Local Language
- Start with Hello, Goodbye, and Thank You. These three little phrases go a long way toward ingratiating you in the eyes of the locals
- Learn how to say “Excuse me, Can you speak English?” in the local language
- Know the Tourist Climate
- How do locals feel about tourists and why?
- How important is tourism to the local economy?
- How can you visit sustainably?
During your stay you should…
- Report signs of human trafficking and abuse
- Use less water and electricity
- Respect the environment and people
- Use low carbon transportation, in order:
- Walking > Cycling > Mass Transportation
- Buy local
- Fair trade, seasonal, organic
- Participate in the community
When you return home you should…
- Share your experience with friends and family
- If you use social media, share your experience and photos
- Write a guest blog on travel websites (We welcome new bloggers on SustainableVisit.com)
- Comment on travel suggestions that you greatly appreciated on forums
- Submit a new suggestion for a sustainable restaurant, activity, attraction, hotel, and more on SustainableVisit.com
- Plan your next destination!