For flights from Jan 11 onward, American Airlines has made changes to how they code their US Domestic First Class cabin on 2-cabin flights. 3-cabin flights (such as JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO) are not affected by the change.
While still marketed as a “First Class” product, internally the cabin is being treated as a Business class cabin. As such the fare, upgrade, and award classes for 2-cabin US domestic flights have changed for flights departing Jan 11 onward:
Click on image to expand chart
Paid Class Changes
F -> J
A -> I
P -> D
Upgrade Class Changes
X -> R (as before, not viewable on ExpertFlyer)
A -> C
Award Class Changes
Z -> U
What this means for ExpertFlyer Subscribers
First, you will be searching for a different First Award or Upgrade class for 2-cabin US Domestic flights departing Jan 11. These changes are also noted in the class code descriptions of the Award & Upgrade search.
In addition, if you have a Flight Alert for the First cabin on 2-cabin US Domestic flight departing Jan 11 onward, then your Flight Alert needs to be updated as per the table above. To do so:
- Login to your ExpertFlyer account
- Go to the View Saved Alerts page
- In the Flight Alerts section, delete the existing Flight Alert
- Create a new Flight Alert from either the Flight Availability or Award & Upgrade results pages or the Create New Flight Alert page.
If you have any questions about these changes or your alerts, please email us at email@example.com
We are excited to announce that today we are launching several new ExpertFlyer features:
- Flight Timetables
- Aircraft Equipment Change Alerts
- Interline Agreement Information
- Visa, Health & Passport Information
- Shows flights timetable information, both for direct flights and connections, for different airlines between a pair of cities on a specific day or range of days
- Can also search for all flights to or from a specific airport on a given day
- Ability to search only for non-stop/direct flights or include connecting flights
- Advanced filtering options by airports, airlines, and type of flight
Aircraft Equipment Change Alerts: (Premium Subscribers Only)
- Monitor for changes to the aircraft equipment code returned for the Seat Map of a flight
- No more surprise seat reassignments, ExpertFlyer will periodically check for an equipment change and notify you if a change is made
- Part of the 30 Active alerts allowed at one time in the Premium service.
Aircraft Equipment Change Alerts
Interline Agreement Information & Visa, Health & Passport Information:
- Additions to the Travel Information tool
- Interline Agreement search shows the airline codes that have an Interline Agreement with the specified airline
- Visa, Health & Passport Information shows Visa/Entry requirements for travel based on your citizenship and departure country, as well as other country specific information for your destination
We hope you find these new features useful in your travel planning and look for more great additions to ExpertFlyer in the coming months.